If you are interested in how to become an LPC in Minnesota, please read further on standards and requirements.
Both levels of licensing in the state of Minnesota will required a graduate education. Those looking to become school counselors will required a Master’s degree as well, but will be licensed by a separate agency.
In Minnesota, one can be licensed as an addiction counselor (LADC) with only a Bachelor’s degree.
Future LPC: For Minnesota High School Student or High School Graduate
Your First Step:
For undergraduate majors, we recommend that you choose a subject such as Psychology or Social Work. If possible, you can look into CACREP programs that specialize in therapy or counseling.
Your Second Step:
- Start as early as possible when it comes to finding paid or volunteer experience in counseling. Some communities offer volunteer companion positions for the mentally ill.
- Additionally, the Mental Health Association of Minnesota is always looking for those willing to assist them. They have volunteers and internships that can be beneficial to future counselors.
Counseling graduate schools will usually require some solid academic or professional references. Develop strong work and volunteer relationships that can lead to good reference.
Bachelor’s Degree College Graduates
Discover programs that are a right fit for you and begin the application process in advance. There are programs that will eventually qualify you for an LPCC license while others prepare you for LPC status.
Between your overseen work experience and internship you are going to accumulate around 700 hours of practice.
Make sure that you complete coursework and clinical requirements.
- Every counselor is required to complete experience requirements.
- Once you have accumulated 2,000 hours of work experience you will be able to become an LPC
- In order to become an LPCC you will need to complete 4,000 hours of overseen experience.
- Your supervisor must document you practice as requested by the state board.
- As a perspective LPCC, you will be required to complete the NCMHE
- For LPC licensing, you can complete the NCE or the CRCE.
- No exam is required for those looking to become school counselors.
Will need to have passport phone ready at the time of the application.
Minnesota Counseling Organizations:
We wish you the best of success in your pursuit of becoming a counselor in Minnesota.