If you are seeking information on how to become a counselor in Nebraska, we have provided details on important standards and requirements.
In the state of Nebraska, you are first licensed as a mental health practitioner or an independent mental health practitioner.
Future Counselor: For Nebraska High School Student or High School Graduate
Your First Step:
- Do some research on what area of counseling has the most interest for you.
- Although in Nebraska you can offer addiction counseling with a high school diploma, it is recommended that you gain as much education as possible. This will help when seeking career advancement.
- The most useful degree for addiction counseling is mental health counseling. Take note that the more education you receive, the less work experience you will need to receive your license.
- When it comes to undergraduate majors you can choose from a variety, but it is important that you complete the behavioral science courses required.
- For people looking to become a school counselor in Nebraska, you will need to become a teacher, complete those educational avenues and work experience, then become a school counselor through endorsement.
Your Second Step:
Stay competitive as a candidate. Graduate schools are going to be looking at strong grades and experiences. Look into viable volunteer opportunities.
Bachelor’s Degree College Graduates
When applying make sure to prepare well in advance. It is important that you don’t rush through your essays or documentation.
When choosing a program you should look into those that are CACREP-accredited or check with the board about a possible programs equivalency.
Once you have received your education, you will be required to complete 3,000 hours of overseen practice in a clinical setting. The higher level of licensing you are looking to achieve, the more time you will have to complete under supervision.
For people who have complete a graduate education, you will need to complete 2,000 hours of work experience under supervision in order to obtain licensing as a Licensed Drug and Alcohol Counselor. There will also be an examination that will need to be completed.
Individuals looking to become a mental health counselor will be required to complete the NCE or NCMHCE to achieve full licensing.
Nebraska Counseling Organizations:
We wish you the best of success in your pursuit of becoming a counselor in Nebraska.