If you are interested in how to become an LPC in Kansas, it is good to familiarize yourself with the standards and requirements to perform the job well.
- The state of Kansas offers licenses for counseling in various disciplines, though the commonality for requirement is usually a Master’s degree.
- A Kansas State Board (of Education) credential is essential for school counselors.
- A Behavioral Sciences Regulatory Board licensing process is crucial for professional counselors and clinical professional counselors.
The Behavioral Sciences Regulatory Board also licenses Addiction counselors, with the following levels of licensing: one with the mandate of a Bachelor’s, and the other with the Master’s mandate.
right for you.
(It’s fast and free!)
Future LPC: For Kansas High School Student or High School Graduate
Your First Step:
Select an appropriate undergraduate subject area (such as Psychology or Social Work) and make the best grades possible in order to remain competitive.
Find areas of counseling that would most appeal to you.
Your Second Step:
For the state of Kansas, before earning a license in school counseling, you must accomplish a teaching certificate.
Bachelor’s Degree College Graduates
Start looking into graduate programs in advance. Often, one requirement will be to successfully complete the GRE or MAT. Start procuring professional references.
Look into volunteer or paid work experience in counseling that will help bolster your file. You want to be as competitive as possible.
- You should enter a graduate program with Kansas Department of Education approval when interested in working as a school counselor. Those who have not finished their degree in teaching will have the requirement of taking on additional coursework beyond what is integral to the program.
- Those working toward gaining licensing as professional counselor should enter a program with a minimum of sixty semester hours long. At least forty-five semester hours should be classes that closely adhere to the Board-identified specific content.
- A Master’s degree is required for gaining appropriate licensing as clinical addictions counselor. Twenty-seven addictions counseling graduate semester hours will be required.
Required coursework should be completed to the best of your ability.
- Aspiring school counselors will need to complete the Praxis II School Guidance Counselor Exam.
- Aspiring Licensed Professional Counselors should complete the National Counselor Examination.
Make sure that you have the required post-Master’s degree practice or post-doctoral practice that are integral to gaining appropriate licensing as a Clinical Professional Counselor, or Clinical Addiction Counselor.
One must take the National Clinical Mental Health Counseling Examination prior to achieving licensing at the level of LCPC.
Kansas Counselor Agencies
We wish you the best of success in your pursuit of becoming a counselor in Kansas.