When seeking information for how to become an LPC in New Jersey, make sure that you have access to the important information on all standards and guidelines.
Though substance abuse counselors are credentialed at several levels, the highest level will require a Master’s degree.
You will want to complete a graduate program to be licensed as:
- school counselors
- rehabilitation therapists
- Professional therapists
Future LPC: For New Jersey High School Student or High School Graduate
Your First step:
Program ahead of time to meet all graduate-school entrance requirements. We do inspire you to consider picking a social research to your major, one particular as Mindset or Social Work. Your plan may require a minimum amount of programs that are prerequisite in the sciences or therapy.
Your Second Step:
By gaining working experience in the therapy world, you are able to enhance your competitiveness for graduate colleges. Find volunteering opportunities or often compensated work projects and incorporate these for your account of skills.
Bachelor’s Degree College Graduates
- Look for graduate programs that fit your career goals.
- In order to be fully credentialed as a counselor you will be required to complete a graduate program that contains at least 60 hours of coursework. The program has permission to include electives. Another idea is to pursue a program that allows you to earn your school counselor license, LPC or LCADC while complete the program.
- For those looking to become a Licensed Clinical Alcohol and Drug Counselor you will want to complete a graduate program in a field like counseling or another closely related area. The program you enter should include the 18 credit hours that are required by the state Board.
- The state of New Jersey will allow specialties such as mental health, career, and gerontology counseling to received an LPC status.
- Some fields like school counselor don’t require as many hours of course work. They generally require the completion of a 48-hour program that is CACREP-accredited and includes a minimum of 6 hours of work experience.
- Make sure that your steps towards becoming a counselor match up with the requirements of the Board each step of the way.
Your graduate program may include the option to gain work experience that can be used towards your supervised practice requirement later. Just make sure that any internship or volunteering you participate in approved by the Board.
Prior to being licensed as an LPC you will become a Licensed Associate Counselor. This status is received by passing the NCE. The National Counselor Exam can be taken in your last semester of college at the earliest. Those looking to become a substance abuse counselor will need to complete an oral portion to the written exam as well.
Once you have completed your testing and education you will be required to complete two years of overseen practice which is roughly 2,000 hours. Those interested in become addiction counselors will need to complete 3,000 hours.
New Jersey Counseling Organization:
We wish you the best of success in your pursuit of becoming a counselor in New Jersey.